The current station building designed by architect Koen van der Gaast was built in 1956 . It has often been claimed that it bears similarities with a Philips radio of that time, but such a radio never existed and it would not fit in with Van der Gaast’s functionalist views. In his view, the station had to occupy a prominent position compared to the other means of transport. Not the human scale, but the urban space was the deciding factor in the dimensions. In his view, the station should also not have a residential function, it was only intended as a transit space: switching from one mode of transport to another.
As of January 1, 2008, the station, received the status of a national monument.